We work with Snaptrip Group across its portfolio of brands, which includes LateRooms.com, on a retained basis to cover digital PR, media relations, and creative stunts.
What we did:
To bring the idea to life we agreed a partnership with The Chocolate Box Hotel in Bournemouth for LateRooms.com and used one of their rooms as the basis for the mock-up campaign visuals to use alongside the onsite content for journalists to link back to in their pieces. The press release included little known facts about the original book and film with Gene Wilder in the title role to help celebrate the 50th anniversary, as well as information for people wanting to register their interest to stay in the room to force those all important editorial backlinks.
For the room itself, we incorporated elements from Dahl’s world, including the lickable wallpaper. Post-Covid this item was a risk – not very hygienic after all! – but it’s such a part of the original film that we knew we had to have it and found a way to make it safe by ensuring we could replace it for each new guest.
- 135 pieces of global coverage including sites with a high Domain Authority, such as TimeOut (DA 92), Yahoo (92) and The Sun (94).
- 164 links to LateRooms.com – 32% of which were follow links against a KPI of 30% follow links
- 7,000+ people registered their interest to book the room, (92% of which opted in to receive future marketing)
- 15 new referring domains for LateRooms.com
- An email from one of the comms teams at Warner Bros. saying how much they loved the idea (while also telling us not to do it!) and asking us to pitch ideas directly to them ahead of the release of Wonka and other projects on an ad hoc basis, with a view to collaborating on future campaigns